SESSIONS: 01 02 03
How to install Cygwin and GRASS GIS using WinGRASS cd
Caution: These procedures are those found to work by a GRASS newbie. There may be better ways.
This worked correctly the last time I tried it. 4/21/2005
How to install Cygwin and GRASS GIS using WinGRASS cd.
- WinGRASS requirements. It requires WinNT, Win2kPro, WinXP and NTFS file system.
- Go the Marco Lechner's download site for the WinGRASS cd image.
It will look like this:
- Download all 3 items with names beginning "Cygwin...", by right-clicking on them and clicking on "Save link as". I saved mine to c:\downloads\cygwin\cd_1 (since I like to keep everything from a successful install all kept in one place).
- I used Nero to burn the cd
- In the top row of icons, click on "Copy and Backup".
- click on "Burn image to disk"
- Select the .iso image in c:\downloads\cygwin\cd_1 [where I saved it on download], "Image files (*.nrg., *.iso, *.cue)",
- I opted for verify after burn, but this is not really necessary.
- I opened the cd drawer then reclosed it. Cygwin setup came up automatically.
- Using Adobe Reader, in the downloads directory, I opened
and kept it available for reference during the install.
- I followed the instructions without problem down to where you select the GRASS packages for download. Being a newcomer to GRASS, I felt it prudent to load the last release (stable) version rather than the latest beta version, so I deselected GRASS 6.1 and selected 6.0. This DID NOT work. I had to uninstall and re-do the install and go with the default GRASS 6.1
- After seeing the "Installation complete" message, I made a link on the desktop to c:\cygwin\grass61.bat, also using the icon found in that same directory. [Note: if you have a GRASS link on your desktop from an earlier non-cd install, it will need editing or replacing]. I clicked on the icon, the initial Cygwin window came up, and after clicking Return as requested, the Grass entry screen appeared. Note: sometimes, this will not work the first time, but will work if you try it again (and thereafter). At this point, I click on Exit and go back to Windows.
- At this point, just as I did for the non-cd download/install, I use the method described here to create ....\database and to extract the Spearfish57 data to it.
Comments or suggestions?