SESSIONS: 01 02 03
A Kinder, Gentler Bash Screen
- This worked as described the last time I used it 4/27/05.
- Everything on this website presupposes that one is using the Grass60.bat provided by Huidae Cho on his WinGRASS installation website or using grass61.bat provided by using using an install cd.
- I have very pointedly suggested that all files associated with a WinGRASS installation be saved in the same download directory (e.g., c:\downloads\cygwin\install-04).
- I have very specifically suggested that one download and link to the Grass60.bat saved to the above download subdirectory (whatever you named it) and "send" a link to the desktop, and then to specify the appropriate icon to that link. If you use the install cd, these will already be in your c:\cygwin directory. Currently, you will be provided grass61.bat, in that case.
- Using Windows Explorer, find Grass60.bat (or grass61.bat, if you used the cd to install) in the above subdir, select it, and click "copy", then use paste to save a "Copy of" to the same subdir.
- Using whatever you use to edit text files (I use UltraEdit), open Grass60.bat. Go almost to the bottom of the file where it says:
run xterm -sl 1000 -sb -rightbar -ms red -fg yellow -bg black -e /usr/bin/bash -l grass60
Edit this to read:
run xterm -sl 1000 -sb -rightbar -ms red -fg blue -bg white -e /usr/bin/bash -l grass60
and save the file (as Grass60.bat, or as grass61.bat, as appropriate).
- When you next click on the desktop link for Grass60.bat (or grass61.bat, as appropriate), the Cygwin Bash screen will come up (not with a harsh yellow on black screen but with) blue text on a white background. This may not give you warm fuzzies, but it does me because for at least a decade, these were my default colors for msdos screens before Windows took control of my computer and my life.
- If you aren't happy with these results, you can delete "Grass60.bat" and then rename "Copy of Grass60.bat" to "Grass60.bat" and you will be back where you started. If you used the cd install, you will currently be working with grass61.bat instead of grass60.bat.
Comments or suggestions?